Types of Aid

Financial Assistance Information

A Federal Pell Grant, unlike a loan, does not have to be repaid. Federal Pell Grants usually are awarded only to undergraduate students who have not earned a bachelor's or a professional degree. A Federal Supplemental Educational Opportunity Grant (FSEOG) is a grant for undergraduate student with exceptional financial need. 

Loans made through the Federal Perkins Loan Program, often called Perkins Loans, are low-interest federal student loans for undergraduate and graduate students with exceptional financial need.

The William D. Ford Federal Direct Loan (Direct Loan) Program is the largest federal student loan program.  Under this program, the U.S. Department of Education is your lender. 

There are four types of Direct Loans available:

  • Direct Subsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate students who demonstrate financial need to help cover the costs of higher education at a college or career school.
  • Direct Unsubsidized Loans are loans made to eligible undergraduate, graduate, and professional students, but in this case, the student does not have to demonstrate financial need to be eligible for the loan.
  • Direct PLUS Loans are loans made to graduate or professional students and parents of dependent undergraduate students to help pay for education expenses not covered by other financial aid.
  • Direct Consolidation Loans allow you to combine all of your eligible federal student loans into a single loan with a single loan servicer. 

Other Options:

Private student loans: These loans are nonfederal loans, made by a lender such as a bank, credit union, state agency, or a school. 

Veteran's Education Benefits.  Platt College is approved for educating veterans.  VA benefits may be available for those eligible veterans who qualify. Definitive Guide to GI Bill Benefits and Eligibility is another resource for veterans to review as they consider using the GI Bill for college expenses.