Platt College Information Technology Services Mission
The mission of Platt College Information Technology Services is to provide the leadership, guidance, and technical skills required to establish and support an information technology infrastructure and accompanying services, including the use of technology for the purpose of teaching, learning, and supporting the College's mission and core values.
IT Requests/Help Desk
IT Requests better known as a Help Desk Ticket exist primarily to ensure uninterrupted IT services on campus and online. As part of our desire to serve our students, faculty and staff, we also provide minor support for PCs and MACs. Submitting a Help Desk Ticket is simple:
- To submit an IT request for help, just send an email with the request to email@example.com
IT services are available on campus downstairs in student services at the office of Mark Finken, Coordinator of IT Services.
If you experience any of the following problems after hours (weeknights 5:00 pm to 8:00 am and weekends from Friday 2:00 pm through 8:00 am Monday), report them by submitting a help desk ticket.
Outage of an enterprise system such as My Platt College, email, or website services (such as the student portal, faculty portal, or library databases) may be addressed through a help ticket. Individual outages will be addressed during business hours. Reports of individual outages should be made by calling the main desk at 303.369.5151 or by email.
Computer Hardware and Software Requirements at Platt College
Platt College has computer software and hardware requirements that must be met in order to enroll as a student. Students are required to have a lap top that meets the College's:
- Student Lap Top Standards, Computer Hardware, and Software Minimal Requirements for a PC
- Student Lap Top Standards, Computer Hardware, and Software Minimal Requirements for a Mac
Computers are available in the Knowledge Resource Library.
Notices and Alerts
Occasionally IT Services will need to schedule maintenance that impacts My Platt College and/or email usage. When possible, outages and other changes will be announced in advance via email, the Platt College Website, or the announcements section in My Platt College.
Platt College Email
Email accounts are for official college use and will be used as the method of official communication between students and College Employees. Each student, faculty, and staff member is assigned a Platt College e-mail account. An e-mail address at Platt College is configured using an individual's firstname.lastname (john.smith) plus the domain (@plattcolorado.edu). For information regarding individual user names and passwords refer to Policy 07:14:00 College Email Policy. Platt College email accounts may be configured on an iPad, PC, iPhone, Android, and other devices.
Free Microsoft Office Suite
As a Platt College student, you are eligible for one free download of Microsoft Office 365 Education. As a student, you will automatically be granted a 4 year license for the software, which will expire automatically upon graduation. To download and install your copy, please use the the following instructions.
- Navigate to the Microsoft website here.
- Select the "Student" tab, and then click "Find out if you’re eligible".
- Enter you're Platt College email address and then click "Sign up".
- You will now recieve an email from Microsoft.
- Click the activation link in the email to complete your Office 365 Education Signup.
- On the webpage, enter your first and last name, a password of your choosing, and your birth date. Then click "Start".
- You will be taken to a page that says "Install Office".
- Uncheck "Make Bing your search engine", and uncheck "Make MSN your browser homepage", then click "Install Now".
- This will prompt you to download the installation program. Please save this file to your desktop.
- Run the installation program after the download completes.
- This will install the latest version of the Microsoft Office suite on your computer.
- You may be prompted with an error if you have an older or incompatible version of Microsoft Office already on your computer. Please uninstall that version when prompted and then execute the installer again to complete the installation.
Connecting to the Campus Printer
Need help connecting your laptop to the printer on campus? For step-by-step instructions on how to connect:
Windows 7 and Windows 8:
- Please download the drivers located here, and extract the Zip file. You do not need to sign up for DropBox. Simply click the 'X' when prompted to log in.
- Navigate to the Control Panel > Devices and Printers.
- Click Add a Printer.
- Select the printer with the address of “192.168.0.44”.
- At the prompt to install a printer driver, select Have Disk.
- Click Browse and navigate to the folder containing the driver you just downloaded, and then double click sfweMENU.inf, then click OK.
- Click Next.
- At the Printer Name prompt, rename SHARP UD2 PCL6 to “Library Printer”.
- Click Next.
- Select “Do not share this printer”, then click Next.
- Click Finish. You have successfully installed the new library printer.
- Click on the link here. This will download the Windows WHQL PCL driver to your downloads folder
- Open the down load it will ask to save files in this folder: C:\Drivers\MX_D17_PCL6_PS_1312a_EnglishUS_64bit
- Choose Next (if it asks to overwrite existing files choose Yes to All)
- Files will be extracted and then a blue install window will open – choose the Advanced Installation and it will search the network for available MFP. It will display the MFP listed as SHARP MX-M464N with a name of Library - Highlight this item and choose Next. If No MFP is found choose OK then choose the Specify Condition and enter the following IP address in the Search by MFP name or IP box: 192.168.0.44
- It will flash a Confirm screen - Choose Next
- It will flash a driver install screen – check the PCL6 box and choose Next
- This will install the SHARP MX-M464N printer, configure the settings and flash a window for Installation complete – click on OK
*You may get a Windows wants to restart warning – Restart your computer to complete the install and you will be ready to use the Library printer
- Please find your version of OSX by clicking the Apple, then About This Mac.
- For versions 10.8 through 10.10, download this file. You do not need to sign up for DropBox. Simply click the 'X' when prompted to log in.
- For versions lower than 10.8, download this file. You do not need to sign up for DropBox. Simply click the 'X' when prompted to log in.
- Double click the download to mount the image.
- Once the image is mounted, double click it and navigate to the folder named with your version of OSX.
- Double click the file is contains. This will likely be called MX-C26.
- Click Continue.
- Click Continue.
- Click Agree, then click Install.
- When the installation is complete, click Close.
- Now, Navigate to System Preferences.
- Click the plus sign at the bottom of the Printers window, then select MX-M464N (3503354Y00).
- Please make sure you selected the correct printer. There are two that are very similar.
- You have successfully installed the new library printer.
Still having trouble? See Mark Finken, Coordinator of IT Services, located in the Student Services Complex.