Welcome to the Knowledge Resource Library at Platt College.
The Knowledge Resource Library staff provides outstanding resources and professional technical skills to users, collaborates with faculty and students in individual and group settings, and assists with the instruction of evidence based practice and information literacy skills.
Monday through Thursday 8:00 am-6:30 pm
Friday 8:00 am-5:00 pm
Laura Cullerton, Information Specialist
Hannah Moody, Library Assistant
303 369-5151 extension 234
Laura Cullerton, MLIS, AHIP
Laura Cullerton, Information Specialist, holds a Master of Library and Information Science from the University of Denver. She is a member of Medical Library Association (Nursing and Allied Health Resource Section), Colorado Council of Medical Librarians, Special Library Association, Rocky Mountain Special Library Association and Colorado Association of Libraries. Her particular interest in librarianship is in Evidence Based Practice.
Hannah Moody, Library Assistant, holds a B.A. in English from Metropolitan State University of Denver. She is currently studying for her Master's of Library and Information Science at San Jose State University. Her interest in librarianship is in library management and advocacy.
Databases Listed by Subject
To access the database userid and password go to My Platt College - NSGKRLALL Knowledge Resource Library/Reference Course - Course Documents - Library Databases and Access Codes
Access to these databases are for Platt College usage only.
- LIRN access (Proquest Nursing, Medical, Psychology, Medcomm Videos, EBrary Academic Complete ebooks and other databases) and Gale Cengage (Virtual Reference Library e-books and other databases) Note: Select Subject View in LIRN
- EBSCO access (CINAHL, Medline Plus, Academic Search Premier and other EBSCO databases)
- Mango Languages - 70 languages and can get a medical spanish certificate. Create an account using your Platt College email do not use guest access.
- Turnitin access
- If you are in another location with EBSCO database access use this URL to bypass their EBSCO databases and use Platt College EBSCO databases http://search.ebscohost.com/login.aspx?authtype=ip,uid&profile=ehost You will also need to clear all your browser cookies/cache.
Nursing and Medical
- CINAHL Plus with Full Text (EBSCO) is the world's most comprehensive source of full text for nursing & allied health journals, providing full text for more than 750 journals indexed in CINAHL.
- Medline with Full Text (EBSCO) MEDLINE with Full Text provides the authoritative medical information on medicine, nursing, dentistry, veterinary medicine, the health care system, and pre-clinical sciences found on MEDLINE, plus the database provides full text for more than 1,470 journals indexed in MEDLINE.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) contains full text for more than 2,100 journals, including more than 1,700 peer-reviewed titles. This multi-disciplinary database covers virtually every area of academic study.
- ProQuest Nursing & Allied Health Source (LIRN-Proquest) 715 full text journals of Nursing, Allied Health: Journals, Magazines and Dissertations. Skills videos from Medcom Video Training Programs Collection.
- Proquest Health and Medical Complete (LIRN-Proquest)This database offers reliable, comprehensive journal coverage of clinical and biomedical topics, consumer health, health administration and more. 1,270 full text journals.
- Medcom Trainex Video Training (LIRN-Proquest) Nursing & Allied Health click the browse button and choose Video Training Programs. These videos cover important topics such as health care safety, emergency planning, checking vital signs and many more.
- Proquest Psychology (LIRN-Proquest)This database provides abstracts and indexing for more than 640 titles, with over 540 titles available in full text. Many titles are indexed in PsycINFO. Coverage ranges from behavioral, clinical, cognitive, developmental, experimental, industrial and social psychology, along with personality, psychobiology and psychometrics.
LIRN (Gale) and others
- Academic OneFile (LIRN-Gale) is the premier source for peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources. With extensive coverage of the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
- CultureVision (LIRN-Culturevision) Culturally competent patient care information for over 50 ethnic, cultural, religious, and ability groups.
- Micromedex - The wide range of evidence based information you expect from Micromedex is now part of Thomson Healthcare Evidence. This includes all the unbiased, referenced information about drugs, toxicology, diseases, acute care, and alternative medicine you have come to expect. Includes CareNotes™ System which provides your patients with complete, easy-to-understand information about all aspects of their care, medications, and health, in English or Spanish. ****Because the online subscription offered through the Micromedex Academic Program is intended specifically for students enrolled in healthcare-related curriculums and faculty/instructors that teach those curriculums, access must be restricted to those users. For access via desktop or laptop/notebook computer while in a patient care facility, they must utilize the facility's subscription—they are not to access via the user name and password provided for the academic subscription or share the access information with others.****
- Pubmed Linkout Pubmed is a government bibliographic database containing citations and abstracts from approximately 5,200 biomedical journals published in the United States and in other countries. Full text articles can also be found within pubmed at pubmed central.****This is a custom url for Platt College. After searching, go to the tab that is labeled Platt college and it will link you to the articles that are in the EBSCO database.****NOTE: Make sure and set PubMed as a bookmark after accessing via the custom URL. When accessing Pubmed go through your bookmark page. Also make sure that your computer accepts cookies and Java Script. Both of those are needed in order to remember your settings.
- Pubmed Single Citation Matcher This will check Platt College EBSCO databases for full text. Look for blue library holdings icon for Platt College full text.
- PICO tool Patient, Intervention, Comparison, Outcome that searches Pubmed.
- Business Source Premier (EBSCO) provides information for 1,000 full text business publications. More than 10,100 substantial company profiles from Datamonitor are also included.
- Research Library: Business (LIRN - Proquest) This database includes thousands of full-text titles, with a highly-respected, diversified mix of scholarly journals, professional and trade publications, important and general interest magazines.
Dictionaries & Encyclopedias and Reference Ebooks
- Gale Virtual Reference Library (LIRN-Gale) is a database of encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials contain over 2,000 ebooks you can access them online 24/7.
- Newstand (LIRN-Proquest) Unparalleled access to the full text of over 1300 newspapers, news websites and blogs from leading publishers throughout the world. Major newspapers include the New York Times, Wall Street Journal, Chicago Tribune, Washington Post, USA Today, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, The Guardian and many other national and regional titles.
- Newspaper Source (EBSCO) provides cover-to-cover full text for 40 national (U.S.) & international newspapers. The database also contains selective full text for 389 regional (U.S.) newspapers. In addition, full text television & radio news transcripts are also provided.
- Medlineplus Government Website the National Institutes of Health's Web site for patients and their families and friends. Produced by the National Library of Medicine, it brings you information about diseases, conditions, and wellness issues in language you can understand. MedlinePlus offers reliable, up-to-date health information, anytime, anywhere, for free.
- Regional Business News (EBSCO) incorporates coverage of more than 80 regional business publications covering all metropolitan and rural areas within the United States.
- Micromedex. - The wide range of evidence based information you expect from Micromedex is now part of Thomson Healthcare Evidence. This includes all the unbiased, referenced information about drugs, toxicology, diseases, acute care, and alternative medicine you have come to expect. Includes CareNotes™ System which provides your patients with complete, easy-to-understand information about all aspects of their care, medications, and health, in English or Spanish. ****Because the online subscription offered through the Micromedex Academic Program is intended specifically for students enrolled in healthcare-related curriculums and faculty/instructors that teach those curriculums, access must be restricted to those users. For access via desktop or laptop/notebook computer while in a patient care facility, they must utilize the facility's subscription—they are not to access via the user name and password provided for the academic subscription or share the access information with others.****
General & Interdisciplinary
Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) contains full text for more than 2,100 journals, including more than 1,700 peer-reviewed titles. This multi-disciplinary database covers virtually every area of academic study.
Academic OneFile (LIRN-Gale) A one-stop source for news and periodical articles on a wide range of topics: business, computers, current events, economics, education, environmental issues, health care, hobbies, humanities, law, literature and art, politics, science, social science, sports, technology, and many general interest topics. Millions of full-text articles, many with images.
- Research Library (LIRN-Proquest) ProQuest Research Library™ is designed to cover the top 150 core academic subject reference areas, 6,400 periodical titles as well as provide hundreds of general interest periodicals from around the world, so not only is it an invaluable database for a number of different academic disciplines, it's also accessible to readers and researchers at every level.
- MasterFILE Premier (EBSCO) this multidisciplinary database provides full text for more than 1,050 general reference publications.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (LIRN - Gale)From arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology, this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines. Access scholarly journals, news magazines, and newspapers - many with full text and images!
Social Sciences (Psychology, Sociology, Criminology, and Social Work)
- Psychology and Behavioral Sciences Collection (EBSCO) Psychology & Behavioral Sciences Collection is a comprehensive database covering information concerning topics in emotional and behavioral characteristics, psychiatry & psychology, mental processes, anthropology, and observational & experimental methods. This is the world's largest full text psychology database offering full text coverage for nearly 400 journals.
- ProQuest Psychology Journals (LIRN-Proquest) Psychology: Journals, Magazines with complete full-text coverage from top psychology and related publications, this database meets the needs of both students and mental-health professionals.
- ProQuest Sociology (LIRN-Proquest) Covers the international literature of sociology and social work, including culture and social structure, history and theory of sociology, social psychology, substance abuse and addiction and more. This collection provides full-text coverage of many core titles indexed in Sociological Abstracts and Social Services Abstracts. As well as hundreds of full text scholarly journals, the database also includes over 500 recent full-text doctoral dissertations on sociology.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO)multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles. PDF backfiles to 1975 or further are available for well over one hundred journals, and searchable cited references are provided for more than 1,000 titles.
- Proquest Social Science Journals (LIRN-Proquest) This database includes over 1000 titles, with the majority available in full text. It covers core disciplines across the social sciences including sociology, social work, anthropology, politics and other areas, featuring journals from over 50 countries, facilitating multidisciplinary research and providing researchers with a variety of perspectives.
Science & Technology
- Proquest Research Library: Science & Technology (LIRN-Proquest) includes chemistry and biology journals.
- Academic Search Premier (EBSCO) Multi-disciplinary database provides full text for more than 4,600 journals, including full text for nearly 3,900 peer-reviewed titles.
- Academic OneFile (LIRN -Gale)contains peer-reviewed, full-text articles from the world's leading journals and reference sources, covering the physical sciences, technology, medicine, social sciences, the arts, theology, literature and other subjects.
- Expanded Academic ASAP (LIRN-Gale)From arts and the humanities to social sciences, science and technology, this database meets research needs across all academic disciplines.
- Highwire Press Largest archive of free full-text science on Earth!" They have more than 2.4 million articles available. When browsing the website one can see that some of the biomedical journal titles are immediately free and others are embargoed for 1 year. One may browse or search by title or topic.
- Research Library: History (LIRN-Proquest) A set of history journals.
Gale Virtual Reference Library (LIRN-Gale) is a database of encyclopedias, almanacs, and specialized reference sources for multidisciplinary research. These reference materials contain over 2,000 ebooks you can access them online 24/7.
See also the General & Interdisciplinary databases listed above.
- Religion and Philosophy Collection (LIRN-Gale) provides access to scholarly journals and magazines of interest to both researchers and general users. The database offers balanced content that covers topics across a wide range of philosophies and religions.
- ERIC Government provides access to more than 1.3 million bibliographic records (citations, abstracts, and other pertinent data) of journal articles and other education-related materials, with hundreds of new records added every week.
- Portal to Government Information is the U.S. government's official web portal. This portal makes it easy for the public to get U.S. government information and services on the web.
Find a Book/eBooks
Platt College Online Library Catalog helps students locate books at Platt College. The catalog classification system is based on the library of congress call numbers. Did you find a book you want in another library or on Google Books that Platt doesn't have? Try inter-library loan. There are two options:
- Locate the book you want on the Prospector website , which will tell you if the book is in a Colorado library. You can let us know and we can borrow it for you and have it delivered to Platt College library.
- Not all Colorado libraries are on the Prospector catalog. Try worldcat and it will let you know also if there is the book in Colorado.
Platt College Library EBooks
Gale Virtual Reference Library Over 2,800 ebooks on various subjects.
Proquest EBrary Academic Complete -Academic Complete is a collection
of scholarly ebooks from leading
A critical mass of scholarly content, now organized
into 10 major academic subject areas and totaling over
Helpful Links to eBooks Online
National Center for Biotechnology Information (NCBI) biomedical e-books-The Bookshelf is a growing collection of biomedical books that can be searched through this link. Patient Safety and Quality: An Evidence Based Handbook for Nurses - This book is produced by the Government Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality (AHRQ). The Disease Management Project is an online medical reference, designed to provide nationally established treatment guidelines for the most commonly seen diseases and conditions. Teaching Patients with Low Literacy Skills is considered a classic text in health literacy. CINAHL plus with full text database and Proquest Nursing and Allied Health databases also have ebooks (see databases A to Z or databases by subject for hyperlink) ebooks recommended by nursing school librarians
Practice Guidelines and Best Practice Information
National Guideline Clearinghouse™ (NGC), a public resource for evidence-based clinical practice guidelines. Registered Nurses Association of Ontario (RNAO) RNAO launched the Nursing Best Practice Guidelines Program and has currently published over 50 guidelines. Practice Guidelines are available from many sources, including journals and other resources indexed in EBSCO's CINAHL and MEDLINE. CINAHL publication types to consider include Care Plan, Clinical Innovations, Critical Path, Practice Guidelines, Protocol and Standards. Go to advanced search and select those publication types. EBSCO's MEDLINE publication types to consider include Practice Guideline and Guideline. Each database needs to be searched separately in order to select the publication type.
Evidence Based Practice Information
Medline PICO tool Searches PubMed by a web based PICO tool. PubMed Clinical Queries searches PubMed by a web based clinical queries form. The Learning Information Seeking and Technology for Evidence-based Nursing Practice (LISTEN) project is designed to improve information literacy competencies of student and professional nurses. We are doing this by preparing:
- A series of online learning modules,
- Web-based resources, and
- Interactive opportunities to learn more.
TRIP Database has remained the same since 1997 - allowing health professionals to easily find the highest-quality material available on the web - to help support evidence based practice. American Nurses Association has developed a research toolkit to help provide evidence-based care that promotes quality health outcomes for individuals, families, communities and health care systems. The Toolkit can also assist in shaping health policy at the bedside, within an organization, and at the local, state and national level. The toolkit offers an introduction to research and evidence-based practice. It provides access to numerous resources to translate evidence into practice and to support nurse researchers.