History of Platt College
Platt College located in Aurora, Colorado, is nestled eight miles west of Denver. Aurora is a community founded in 1891 near the Rocky Mountains. With 300 days of sunshine every year over a beautiful array of the Rocky Mountains, award-winning restaurants, art, world-class museums and a large number of major health care systems, the Platt College area blends urban sophistication with outdoor adventure.
Platt College is often described as a higher education treasure that deeply cares about its students and employees. In fact, we are a nursing College dedicated above all else to student success. Platt College’s primary mission is to offer a bachelor's degree in nursing that provides students with competencies, skills, and levels of education for employment and continued success in higher education.
In 1980, the San Diego campus was founded and enrollment of students began. Six years later, the Denver extension was founded by Jerald B. Sirbu, founding President/CEO. In 1986, the Denver extension became its own separate college, without affiliation to any other Platt Colleges in the United States.
Platt College offered diploma programs from 1986-1990, began associate of applied science degree programs in 1991, and added baccalaureate degrees in 1997. In 2005, the School of Nursing at Platt College admitted their first class. In 2013, online education was added to the nursing curriculum. Today, the College offers one degree-a Bachelor of Science in Nursing in 36 months.
- 1879: Platt College originates in Missouri
- 1980: The San Diego campus is founded, with emphasis in Drafting, Floral Design,Travel/Tourism and Production Art (the Denver school was originally a branch campus of the San Diego school)
- 1986: The Denver Extension is founded with the intent of emphasizing Business Technology in addition to Floral Design and Production Art
- 1987: Graphic Design is added
- 1989: Computer Graphics is added
- 1990: The American Education Development Corporation purchases the College
- 1991: Associate of Applied Science Degree programs are added
- 1992: Electronic Prepress Technology is introduced, followed by an Associate of Occupational Studies Degree in Advanced Computer Graphic Design
- 1996: Advanced Programs are introduced emphasizing Interactive Multimedia Graphics and Webpage Design
- 1997: Bachelor of Arts Degree Programs with specialization in the Graphic Arts and Advertising are added
- 2000: Information Technology Networking and Website Design are added
- 2005: The Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BSN) program is developed
- 2010: Media Arts is added with an emphasis in web technologies, advanced web design and web programming
- 2012: Graphic Design is eliminated
- 2013: Online (blended) education is added
Platt College currently offers a Bachelor of Science in Nursing Degree in 36 months.
Legal Description: The College is owned by the American Education Development Corporation doing business as Platt College and incorporated under the laws of the State of Colorado. American Education Development Corporation assumes full responsibility for the educational agreements between the College and the students. Certified as true and correct in context and policy. Jerald B. Sirbu, President/CEO July 11, 2016.
2016-2017 Catalog: Volume 9, Number I (Effective July 11, 2016)