Withdrawal from the College

A. Official Withdrawal from the College

An official withdrawal is when the student notifies the Platt College Registrar in person or in writing that s/he not be returning to the program. To complete the official withdrawal from the College, the student completes a Request to Permanently Withdraw from the Degree Program Form and withdraw forms for each class currently attending (if applicable).  Forms are initiated by the College Registrar after written notification is received by the student.  The effective date of withdrawal is when the College Registrar receives notification from the student that he/she is not returning to the degree program.

B. Administrative Withdrawal/Termination from the College

When a student does not notify Platt College of his or her withdrawal, it is classified as an administrative withdrawal.  Examples of this would include but are not limited to (1) a student who fails to return from temporary suspension or leave of absence without notifying the college, (2) a student does not attend all enrolled classes for two consecutive weeks without notifying the Registrar, (3) a student is temporarily withdrawn from classes and/or is terminated from the college due to a college policy violation.  When a student is terminated, the Registrar completes a Termination from Platt College including Documentation for Refund Calculation Form, issued electronically to applicable college offices.  The date of termination for the student is the date Platt College terminates the student’s enrollment. 

C. Student’s Withdrawal from the College and Refund

Platt College, for refund purposes, defines one quarter by 11 weeks.  Depending on which week of the quarter a student withdraws or is withdrawn from the program, the following chart outlines the amount of refund a student can expect less the application fee and any tuition and fees from any previous quarters. 

Week of QuarterAmount Refunded
Prior to the quarter beginning100%
Within Week 1100%
Within Week 275%
Within Week 350%
Within Week 425%
Within Week 5 through Week 110

D. Financial Aid

Once a Request to Permanently Withdraw from the Degree Program Form or Termination from Platt College including Documentation for Refund Calculation Form has been issued, the Registrar finalizes the needed documentation (i.e. last date of attendance, credit hours scheduled and completed, effective date).  This information is securely provided electronically to each applicable College department. 

When the electronic document is received by the Financial Services department, a College Refund Calculation is completed.  Refunds are completed 30 days from the last date of attendance.

The Financial Aid Department also completes a Federal Return of Title IV Calculation and determines how much of the Student Financial Aid (SFA) funds may be retained.

The School Refund Calculation is then adjusted (if needed) by the funds that must be returned.  Copies of the final School Refund Calculation along with a copy of Return of Title IV Funds worksheet are retained in a student's SFA file and in the college’s database system (My Platt College).   Any refunds/returns are then processed or requested through the appropriate parties. 

The Financial Aid office updates two federal sites: National Student Loan Data System (NSLDS) and the Common Origination and Disbursement (COD) with the revised data.  The office also updates the Veteran's Affairs Office (VA) and any other state agencies if applicable. 

The original withdrawal documents are returned to the College Registrar and the Director of Financial Services  for a co-preparation of a Withdrawal Letter to the student (copies are kept in the Financial Services Department and are appended in the student's electronic files.)

The Financial Aid Department prepares all necessary federally required Exit Interview Paperwork to the student via certified return receipt through the USPS.  Copies of all paperwork are kept in the student's SFA file for documentation.

Copies of refund/return adjustments or checks are posted into the My Platt College system and copies are then kept in both the Academic and SFA file and electronically in the My Platt College document tracking.