COVID-19 Campus Update
Emergency Procedures: Bomb Threats
1. Bomb threat by mail: If you receive a bomb threat by mail, notify administration immediately.
2. Bomb threat by phone: Remain calm. Be courteous. Listen carefully; do not interrupt the caller. Quietly attract the attention of someone else to listen, if possible. Obtain as much information as possible. Record the following information:
- Date of call
- Time of call
- Phone number call received on
- Person who talked to caller
Write entire message of caller as soon as possible after the caller hangs up and you have notified administrative authorities. Note unusual words, phrases, sounds, or accents. Write it verbatim, as much as you can remember.
If caller is agreeable to further conversation, ask:
- When will it go off? Time remaining?
- Where is it located?
- If in a building, what area?
- What kind of a bomb is it?
- How do you know so much about the bomb?
- Why are you doing this?
- Who are you?
- Where are you now?
If the building is occupied, inform caller that detonation of a bomb could cause injury or death.
Circle those that apply:
- ATTEMPT TO IDENTIFY: Male-Female-Adult-Juvenile-Approximate age: _________
- VOICE: Loud-Deep-High Pitched-Raspy-Soft-Intoxicated- Other
- SPEECH: Fast-Slow-Distinct-Stutter-Nasal-Slurred-Lisp-Other
- LANGUAGE: Excellent-Fair-Foul-Poor-Educated- Other
- ACCENT: Local-Not Local-What Country
- MANNERISM: Calm-Rational-Coherent-Deliberate-Righteous-Angry-Irrational
- BACKGROUND NOISES: Factory Machines-Business Machines-Music-Other
- ORIGIN OF CALL: (If possible to discern): Local-Long Distance-Booth-Cell-International
Notify the College President or his designee. Talk to no one other than instructed by the President or his designee.
Follow faculty/staff's direction.
Follow instructions of administrators.
- Relay the bomb threat to Police Department 911.
- Upon arrival, advise the Police Department of the situation, including what actions have been taken, and then follow their instructions.
- Under the direction of the Police Department, administration will give information and instructions to staff/students as necessary.
Will be responsible to:
- Determine if the threat is real or if it is a hoax.
- Determine what actions are necessary.
- Give instructions as to what to do.
- If evacuation takes place, determine when it is safe to re-enter the building.
If deemed necessary, evacuation may simply be directed by manually activating the fire alarm system, or through spoken direction or instructions.
Faculty/Staff may be notified by telephone or runner for the purpose of:
- Alerting the faculty/staff of the bomb threat situation
- Not alarming students unnecessarily
- Giving faculty/staff specific instruction and or information about the situation
Code words "Code Yellow" indicates that there is a bomb threat and it is believed that sufficient information has been gathered to assume time is available to make a quick visual search of the building for possible bombs, as evacuation takes place. DO NOT TOUCH anything! Note anything suspicious - what it is, where it is, and then report it to the Administration.