student policies and procedures

Policy 03:27:00

Unusual Enrollment History Policy


The U.S. Department of Education has established regulations to prevent fraud and abuse in the Federal Pell Grant Program by identifying students with unusual enrollment histories. Some students who have an Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) have legitimate reasons for their enrollment at multiple institutions. However, such an enrollment history requires our Financial Aid Office to review your file in order to determine future federal financial aid eligibility. If selected by the Department of Education (via the FAFSA), this must be resolved before you will receive financial aid.

Revision Responsibility: Director of Financial Aid

Responsible Executive Office: President

Policy Appendix: Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Appeal Form

Created in Formal Policy: June 28, 2018


The specific pattern the Department of Education uses to select students includes those students who have received a Federal Pell Grant at multiple institutions during the past three academic years. Once the Department of Education indicates that a student has an unusual enrollment history, the Financial Aid office must then take action and review the academic history prior to determining federal financial aid eligibility for that student.

If selected, the Financial Aid Office will notify the student of what is required. The Financial Aid Department will check a student's financial aid history at previous institutions attended during the previous three years. A student is required to have received academic credit at any institution s/he  received the Federal Pell grant while attending in those relevant academic years. You need to ensure that we have received all official transcripts for schools previously attended. These records were required at the time of admission and must be on file with the Registrar's Office for your financial aid review. Our office will verify the academic credit was received at each institution during the relevant years. If so, we will notify you that you have satisfied this requirement. If you failed to receive academic credit at any institution you received a Federal Pell grant at during the relevant award years, your federal financial aid will be denied and you will be notified.


Students are able to appeal the financial aid denial by submitting an Unusual Enrollment History (UEH) Appeal Form; a letter explaining the unusual enrollment history; and, documentation to support the explanation provided in the appeal letter. The letter and documentation must show that an extraordinary or unusual case prevented the student from being successful in his or her studies. Situations such as family problems, serious illness for you or your immediate family member, serious or unusual circumstances, or extreme personal, emotional distress will be considered and third-party documentation must be presented. Such documentation might be a doctor’s statement in the case of illness, or a copy of the death certificate in the case of the loss of a close family member. This documentation will be reviewed by our office and we will notify you of the decision.

A student may not use the UEH appeal process because s/he is unable to submit official transcripts from previous institutions in which academic credit was received.

Student's Responsibilities

  1. Write a letter to the financial aid office which describes why academic credit was not earned during any period in which you received a Pell grant and/or a Federal Direct Subsidized/Unsubsidized loan and didn’t successfully complete your courses/studies. This letter should include how the circumstance that led to your academic difficulties has been resolved and the steps you have taken to ensure your own academic success. This letter serves to inform the financial aid office of your previous situation and show that you are ready and able to achieve academic requirements.
  2. Obtain third-party documentation of your situation from a physician, psychologist or other source approved by the financial aid office. The documentation serves as independent verification of your circumstances. While a letter from a family member is generally not sufficient, hospital discharge papers, a letter from your employer, a police report or documentation from a human services agency may suffice.
  3. Submit the above two items to the financial aid office. Keep a copy for your records.

Regaining Federal Student Aid Eligibility

Students that have been denied federal student aid based on an Unusual Enrollment History Appeal have the ability to appeal to the Financial Aid Office. Staff members will review the initial denial once the following information is received: the student's appeal letter to determine if the situation meets the federal requirements; all transcripts for each school attended; and any appropriate documentation of the extenuating circumstances. To be considered for a second appeal, you must contact the Director of Financial Aid. Your letter should include any additional information and/or documentation that you want the Committee to take into consideration. These decisions of the Committee are final and are not appealable to the Department of Education.