COVID-19 Campus Update
safety and security policies and procedures
Workplace Injury and Unusual Occurrence
To define Platt College’s workplace injury procedures
Revision Responsibility: President
Responsible Executive Office: President
Created: August 6, 2009, Revised: May 27, 2015 to reflect updated medical choice providers.
Definition of Workplace Injury
Workplace injury may be defined as an injury that occurs at work or at an off campus site where an employee is being paid for his/her work or students are involved in an academic class.
Basic rules for documenting patient injuries, patient complaints, medical device malfunctions, medication errors, and injuries to college employees, students or hospital visitors, include the names of any persons involved and witnesses, facts about what happened, the consequences to the person involved and additional relevant facts, such as your immediate actions. Students and faculty members are expected to be knowledgeable of each health care institution’s policy regarding the reporting of errors or unexpected events that may occur in the healthcare environment. Students and faculty must work together to complete any and all required documentation required by the institution immediately.
Do not include opinions, conclusions, assumptions, thoughts on who caused the incident, or suggestions for preventing similar incidents in the future.
If the unusual occurrence involves a student, the faculty member must also complete a Student Advising Record (SAR) for these types of events focusing on the student’s actions, responses, and a specific corrective learning plan to be kept in the student’s educational file.
Depending on the severity of the error or unexpected event, the faculty member will notify the program Dean. The Dean will work with the faculty and student to trend the student’s involvement in errors and unexpected events in the clinical environment and the type(s) of corrective action that needs to be taken to ensure clinical safety and competency. Significant errors or error trends may result in student dismissal from the nursing program, suspension, clinical failures, and/or course repeats. The Dean will also work with the faculty member and student to report significant errors to the college’s insurance policy carrier.
If your injury is life- or limb-threatening, go to the nearest hospital emergency room. Get yourself stabilized — that's priority number one.
In all other cases, let your immediate supervisor/faculty member know you've been injured before you seek medical attention. All employees must obtain treatment of work-related injuries and illnesses from one of the following medical providers listed below.
These providers have received special training in occupational medicine and the treatment of work-related injuries and illnesses. These medical providers will:
- Treat your initial injuries and manage any related follow-up care.
- Or, if you were initially treated in an emergency room, he or she will manage all related follow-up care and determine when you are physically ready to return to work.
- If the onset of pain or illness is gradual, report this to your immediate supervisor as soon as you notice it.
- The appropriate administrator will work with the student and/or faculty member to file and injury report with the workman’s compensation provider contracted with Platt College within 24 hours of the injury provider in order to avoid fines and ensure proper management of the medical care and follow-up required.
- If the injury occurred in an institutional setting, the faculty and/or student will also be asked to complete any and all documentation required by that institution, such as an incident report, immediately after the incident occurs.
|Concentra Medical Centers - SE |
10355 E. Illiff Ave.
Aurora, CO 80247
|Concentra Aurora North|
15235 East 38th Ave
Aurora, CO 80011
|Concentra Tech Center|
11877 E. Arapahoe Rd.
Centennial, CO 80012
|Concentra Cherry Creek|
875 South Colorado Blvd
Denver, CO 80246
|Concentra Aurora Chambers|
3449 Chambers Rd.
Aurora, CO 80011
|Concentra South Broadway|
1212 S. Broadway
Denver, CO 80210
|Concentra Central Park|
5855 Stapleton Dr. North
Denver, CO 80216
|Concentra Highlands Ranch|
9330 South University Blvd.
Highlands Ranch, CO 80126