When walking or jogging:
- Go with someone.
- Stay away from isolated areas.
- Try to stay near streetlights.
- Hold your purse or briefcase tightly, close to your body
- A front pocket is safer for a wallet than a back one.
- Dress sensibly. Tight pants, clogs, or heels make movement difficult.
If you're being followed:
- Cross the street or change directions.
- Keep looking back so the person knows you can't be surprised.
- Go to a well-lighted area. Enter anywhere there are people.
- Notice and remember as much as possible about the person so you can give a good description later.
If you are held up:
- Don't resist. No amount of money is worth taking chances with your life.
- Notify local police immediately. Try to give a description that includes approximate age, height, weight, and details on hair, clothing, jewelry, scars, and tattoos - anything that is noticeable.
Protect personal and College property:
- Lock your door every time you leave.
- Engrave expensive equipment and valuables with an I.D.number.
- Don't store your purse in an unlocked classroom.
- Don't leave your belongings unattended in the library, hallways, laboratories, or classrooms.
- If you are working late: - Keep your office door locked.
- Lock all doors behind you when entering or exiting at night.
In a car:
- Keep doors locked while driving.
- Don't pick up hitchhikers.
- Check the back seat before getting into a car.
Protect your car:
- Always lock your car and take the keys.
- Lock valuables in the trunk. Park in well lighted areas.
- Don't hitchhike.
Report suspicious activity and vandalism immediately.